Monday, January 18, 2010

A Pinata Apple


Piñata apple on the left, big red apple on the right. Which would you rather eat?

By Rob Bralow, Wine Post Editor

I was pitched a story about an apple and it intrigued me. I do not really write about food besides the occasional restaurant mention. However, this was presented to me as a pairing. What wine goes best with apples? I thought a sweet Riesling to balance the apple's natural acidity, or a muscat. I was given the suggestion of a Sauternes.

And then there is what to put onto an apple. Maybe a Roquefort, or Brie. Maybe some jam, or honey. Peanut butter? Plenty of different options.

I know very little about apples. I know there are several different kinds: Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Gala, etc. They have some different colors, different shapes and of course different tastes. I tend to know what to expect what the apple will taste like just by the skin and size of the apple. The smaller the apple, the more sour flavors I expect. The larger, the more fleshy and grainy I expect the apple.

The Piñata apple was created by Stemilt Growers. Stemilt created this apple to be diverse and hardy, able to withstand any culinary condition. The skin is thin and crisp while the flesh is hardy and satisfying. To me, this apple has a great balance of acidity and natural sugars. There is a fun interply between sweet and sour, with great classic apple taste.

The Piñata is a cross between Golden Delicious, Cox’s Orange Pippin and the Duchess of Oldenburg varieties. In Europe found under the names Pinova or Sonata, the Piñata is a result of nearly two decades of development at the apple-breeding program in Dresden-Pillnitz, Germany. Stemilt Growers purchased the exclusive rights to grow and market this new apple in the United States and changed the name to Piñata to better highlight the apple’s stimulating attributes.

Personally, I think the name slightly strange, as it brings to mind a brightly colored object, stuffed with candy, and hung from a tree to be swung at by small children and intoxicated adults.
 
Copyright 2009 Wine Post: Wine & Spirits Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan