Monday, December 14, 2009

Jury Duty - Like a Fine Wine


I have been quite absent lately because I had Jury Duty. I was selected by the lawyers to sit on the jury for the case they were trying.

I found the experience to be interesting. This was the first time I had ever had Jury Duty, and the first time I was on a jury.

I had plenty of time to think while sitting on this jury. Lots of sitting in rooms with no windows either listening to witnesses testify or alone with 13 other people, not allowed to talk about the case so instead we were all just silent. The more I sat there the more I recognized the players in this drama to be very similar to wines I have had.

The prosecution: A clean, clear-cut New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. The prosecutor was bright and vibrant, but sharp and acidic. There was plenty of zest, but also a clearly defined structure with no chance of finding more outside the lines.

The defense: A cheerful Chilean Merlot. Smooth and sleek out of the bottle, this is everybodies' friend. That is until you leave it over night when it becomes more harsh and angular. Plenty of variety and creativity, but very volitile.

The judge: A well known and well liked Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Perfectly contained and balanced, with a well defined structure but also the age and experience to easily transition from one flavor profile to the next.

The defendant: An unknown quantity, perhaps a Pinotage from South Africa, or a Cabernet Franc from Ohio. You are not really sure what you have, but you are willing to give it a try. Why not?

The officers of the court, the clerk, the court reporter: The glassware that allows the wine to reach your lips, the corkscrew that opens the bottle, the cooler that keep the wine at a perfect temperature.

The jury: Well, that's me! I mean, you! I mean... the taster. Through all the intructions, the moving, the sitting, the standing, the sitting, the moving, it is the jury to decides guilty or not guilty.

Have you ever served on a jury? Did you find a similar experience?
 
Copyright 2009 Wine Post: Wine & Spirits Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan