Tuesday, July 14, 2009

So much twitter, such good wine

Saturday night I participated in a Twitter Taste Live with wines from St. Supery. We tasted the 2008 Sauvignon Blanc, 2006 Virtu, 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon, and 2008 Moscato. St. Supery is a winery in Napa Valley, with a vineyard in Rutherford and another in the corner of the valley called Dollarhide. This event taught me something very interesting, something that really could only have come as a true epiphany.

The 1WineDude is so much better at coming up with metaphors than I am.

I mean, it just is not fair. How can I compete with this:

1WineDude: 04 St Supery Cab: There's a Slim Jim playing hide & seek with you in a blackberry patch. And you're eating a dark chocolate bar. #TTL

or this one

1WineDude: 08 St Supery Sauv Blanc: Like riding a lime sled over a field of cut grass. If u could sled on grass. And if sleds were made from limes #TTL

Tasting note gold. I have no idea what it means, but it just sounds so freaking cool. The best I could come up with is:

RobBralow: 2006 Virtu from St. Supery – its like rumplestiltskin is jumping on my tongue and asking me “what’s my name biyatch!” #TTL

And now I have to deal with explaining to my relatives (who are increasingly reading my blog) exactly what I meant by "biyatch."

However, all said and done, I thought these wines were good. With perhaps the exception of the Moscato, I thought each wine showed excellent varietal character, a really pleasant experience. The Virtu, which is a white Meritage (Mer-eh-tij... ryhmes with superitage) was a really interesting wine. A blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon, there were really pleasant notes of honeysuckle, tangy lemon, and a smidgen of butterscotch. The warmer the wine got, the more expressive it became. The Cabernet was delicious, blackberry, anise, with rich tannins. It was my favorite wine of the night. And the Sauvignon Blanc was crisp, light, and extremely refreshing.
 
Copyright 2009 Wine Post: Wine & Spirits Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan