Thursday, March 18, 2010

Whiskey, Gin, Rum, Tequila!

by Rob Bralow, Wine Post Editor


I went to a very strange summer camp. No, the camp did not give alcohol to its campers. Instead the beverage of choice was Coca Cola. Counselors would give Cokes as a prize for doing something for them, for being especially good, and for not being annoying children. Not sure what the theory on that was, since giving a hyperactive camper a sugary, caffeinated drink probably did not calm the situation, but when you are a sun-browned camp counselor, I am not sure that it matters.


I forget which counselor taught this to my little brother, but at odd times during the day as we would go to our activities he would start shouting, "Whiskey, Gin, Rum, Tequila!" If you have never seen an eleven year old do this, I would suggest it. It is worth the initial laughs and the subsequent ones to be annoyed every once in a while when he does this right in your ear.


Why am I bringing this up? No not so my mother gets upset with the summer camp; it is way too late for that since I spent at least part of fourteen summers there and my brother is now up to eleven or twelve summers. I bring it up because today is my brother's 21st birthday. I am sure he has learned more about those four imbibables than he thought  possible when he started that manic chant.


In honor of my brother I thought I would review of few whiskeys that I think he might enjoy:


Canadian Club Classic 12 Year Blended Whiskey - A sugared caramel nose with no heat, this was an easy sipping whiskey. It was sweet and light.


Old Forester Birthday Bourbon (Distilled 1997, Bottled 2009) - Smooth and fresh, with caramel mixed with eucalyptus and cinnamon. With a light heat, the flavors were rich and intricate. A very nice drink to sip straight or on the rocks.

Woodford Reserve Master's Collection Seasoned Oak Finish - I must admit I do not get into the darker spirits much, but this bourbon might pull me closer. The dark chocolate, rich caramel, and enticing herbal notes on this Kentucky Bourbon was extremely pleasant. I found dark cherry, cinnamon, caramel, with a little eucalyptus on the end to finish it off.

Happy Birthday Mike!

 
Copyright 2009 Wine Post: Wine & Spirits Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan