Monday, March 29, 2010

Quick Taste: Bluecoat

by Rob Bralow, Wine Post Editor

Gin and Tonic is one of my go-to drinks. It is easy, everyone knows it, and usually a bar will have a few different types of gin, so I will not be stuck with the well gin which might make me regret coming into the bar in the first place. New York City especially is a great place to find many different gins. I found a great gin in Oxley and had my friend Eric Feldman taste it and write up an appropriate review, which he went above and beyond the call of duty to do.

Then along came the Bluecoat Gin. It is five-times distilled in my hometown, Philadelphia. This gin is distilled by Robert Cassel for Philadelphia Distilling, using organic juniper berries and American citrus peels and other organic botanical elements.  It is distilled in a custom-built, hand hammered copper pot still. I do not think that Philly is known for its Gin (or its copper pot stills for that matter), but if Mr. Cassel were to make more of this and find wider distribution, it might give cheese-steaks a run for the money.

I'll have "one, with, whiz" please.


 
Copyright 2009 Wine Post: Wine & Spirits Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan