Monday, March 1, 2010

Quick Taste: Patz & Hall

By Rob Bralow, Wine Post Editor


A little while ago I participated in a Taste Live with Patz & Hall wines. I was a little upset since I just received the wines that morning. Some believe that wines go through a travel sickness. Thomas Pellechia discussed the idea of travel sickness at VinoFictions some time ago, so I am not going to go back over it.

I am more upset with the idea that I haven't had the bottle in my possession for more than 6 hours before I have to pop the corks.


But pop the corks I did and I was not unhappy. The 2008 Sonoma Coast Chardonnay was very interesting to me. If it had been presented to me blind I could have easily mistaken it for a Sauvignon Blanc. It had a zesty nose with bright green apple and apricot mixed with some cream and dill. The taste was white peper and jalapeno that was covered in lemon zest and lime juice. So vibrant and zesty, perfect with oysters.


The 2007 Jenkins Ranch Pinot Noir was stained with sweet cherry and strawberry, a little light pipe tobacco smoke and cured meats. There was so much acidity on the taste. There was a bit of black crushed pepper, a bit of birch root, all held together by some bing cherry.

 
Copyright 2009 Wine Post: Wine & Spirits Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan