Thursday, February 25, 2010

Beware the wild Poontinger - RAWR

by Rob Bralow, Wine Post Editor

Do you remember the original Fandango commercials? They were brilliant and had me laughing, until I saw the commercial for the 3rd time. After the 45th time I was a bit sick of them, but that is not the point I am trying to make.

I received an e-mail saying, "Tried a little Poontinger lately?" and I could honestly say, no. No I had not. I had to look up what a Poontinger was and I found this definition on Wikipedia:
The Wolpertinger (Crisensus bavaricus) (also called "Wolperdinger", "Poontinger" or "Woiperdinger") is a fictional animal said to inhabit the alpine forests of Bavaria in Germany. It has a body comprised from various animal parts – generally wings, antlers, and fangs, all attached to the body of a small mammal. The most widespread description is that of a horned rabbit or a horned squirrel. It is similar to the Rasselbock of the Thuringian Forest, or the Elwedritsche of the Palatinate region, which is described as a chicken-like creature with antlers; additionally the American invention of the Jackalope, as well as the Swedish Skvader are similar creatures to the Wolpertinger.
Why the heck would someone be sending me an e-mail about a Poontinger? Well it turns out that a wine company has taken the Poontinger as its mascot and namesake. Dr. Peter Poontinger Rheinhessen Riesling was introduced by Paulaner HP USA in November of last year. The Riesling is very pleasant, with a little candied apricot, cream, and lime aromas in the glass and a lot of zippy acidity lemon rind and bright green lime on the taste. I think it is a great deal at $10, although I probably would not pay too much more than that.

Disclosure: Wine Post received a sample of Poontinger Riesling from a Paulaner PR representative.
 
Copyright 2009 Wine Post: Wine & Spirits Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan