Monday, April 13, 2009

Do you know about Idaho?


A few months ago I started working on a few stories about wines from areas that you would never think about. I ask the PR world to contact me, and a few did. It is good to see that the call and response aspect of the PR world is still very active and alive.

And so a representative of Idaho’s Snake River Valley contacted me. I would guess that I have probably tasted more wines from Idaho than most other bloggers, and I would even go so far as to say many professional wine writers.

The Snake River Valley was very recently made AVA. It is named for the river that winds through Southern Idaho’s agricultural land. The climate of the region has a hot growing season through mid-summer with cool evenings. The first petition for this region occurred in 2002 with the approval coming in April of 2007. The AVA spans 8,263 square miles, with 90% of vineyards planted in Idaho within its boundaries. Today there are roughly 1,800 acres under vine.

I will definitely be posting about many of the wineries that I have tried. I have not finished tasting through them all yet (amazing how much time that takes) but I have it in my mind to finish tasting either this week or next.

Have you tasted many wines from Idaho? What was your experience?
 
Copyright 2009 Wine Post: Wine & Spirits Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan