Thursday, July 29, 2010

Quick Taste: Dubonnet Rouge Grand Aperitif de France


By Rob Bralow, Wine Post Editor

I must admit, that I am rather unfamiliar with the world of aperitif drinks. I know that there are a few out there, but they never appealed to me as a drink. There is always a white or sparkling wine that would work in the place of an aperitif. Do not misunderstand me, Dubonnet is a wine and according to the website is a "aromatized" wine, one that has been fortified and flavored with botanicals.

I received a bottle of Dubonnet Rouge to taste and was immediately thrown by the note on the bottle that said, "Serve Chilled."

Well, being the good drinker that I am, I went and put the bottle in the fridge for a while. And then completely forgot it was there (doh!).

When I finally pulled it out, I had to sit down and taste it. The aromas were of sugared prunes and smoky oranges. Definitely a fortified wine. There was even a little nuttiness, but not overwhelming. The taste was similar, with more of a cloying sweetness to it. I am not sure I would have this wine before a meal, but it might be a nice pairing with desserts.

A bottle costs roughly $10-$13, so if you are interested in trying it, the purchase will not hurt the wallet.

Disclaimer: I received this bottle as a media sample.

 
Copyright 2009 Wine Post: Wine & Spirits Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan