Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Great Blood of the Bull


The name Torres is well known around the world. Not only for the wine they are making in Spain, but also for the foreign investment that the company has done, specifically in South America. With roots back to 1870, Torres is now run by Miguel A. Torres and has kept the company family run.

The bottle of Torres I picked up was the Gran Sangre de Toro 2004. The wine is made from 60% Garnacha Tinta (Grenache), 25% CariƱena (Carignan), and 15% Syrah. The grapes were picked from mid to late September. I was able to find the tech sheet for the wine, so I know that it was aged in 20% new oak for a year, which made me believe that the expected vanilla and toast notes would be soft and integrated with the wine. We’ll see…

I popped open the wine with my friend Julie in preparation of the restart of our weekly watching of House. The wine was not tasty. In fact, I will go so far as to say I do not want to have that wine again. It hit me with a blast of butter and vanilla and by hit I mean wacked me across the face. I was completely wrong about any thoughts of integrated and subtle hints of anything.

The alcohol was also definitely present as the heat of it almost bubbled out of the glass. The taste was almost watery before it jumped around in my mouth like a pinball. There was a lot of tar and burnt toast with something that was trying to be fruit, but didn't quite make it.
All that being said, it wasn't unpallatable. There is just so much better wine out there that I cannot forsee myself ever coming back to this one.

The wine felt like a lonely guy at a party, the one that laughs too loud and tells jokes at the wrong time. He makes too much noise and at the end of the night everyone wishes he would leave. Don't be that guy and feel free to avoid this wine.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ick! Butter in a red wine sounds terrible! (I mean, I don't much like it in a white wine either....but in red...blech!)

Julie said...

How about a Hungarian Egri Bikaver - Bull's Blood? Have you tasted that? Personally, not my favorite, but some people really like it.

Rob Bralow said...

We'll have to try some Egri Bikaver next time.

Victoria said...

What a bummer... I hate when things like alcohol and oak are just WAY over done. Funny that 60% grenache wouldn't give strong berry flavors. Makes you wonder what the wine maker is thinking...

Rob Bralow said...

I know that the Torres company does make some good wines, this just isn't one of them. My feeling is that this wine was probably made in a board room and done all by machine. It was also rather inexpensive, around $10.

cblukens said...

I love your last comment. Every so often I like to drink an awkward wine someone has panned - so thanks for the recommendation!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Wine Post: Wine & Spirits Blog. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan